How do you keep pushing even when you aren’t 100% sure of what’s in store for you? What are the key business and life fundamentals you must master if you want to succeed? For any creative looking to make it big-time, there are some key things that you need to do in order to sustain momentum. On this episode, we chat with celebrity makeup artist, brand ambassador, educator, and beauty entrepreneur Ashunta Sheriff. With over 20 years in the beauty business, Ashunta has worked with stars such as Taraji P. Henson, Alicia Keys, Tracee Ellis Ross, Diddy, Danai Gurira, Zoe Kravitz, Keri Hilson, and more. Ashunta talks about how she got her start in the beauty industry working at the MAC counter in Macy’s Herald Square and the circumstances that led her to first celebrity booking. From there it was history!
Ashunta also dishes on her personal #dreamdriving story including lessons she’s learned working with celebrity clientele. From learning the right set etiquette, keeping good books, learning to market and brand oneself to setting and negotiating rates, Ashunta talks about the key things that will help creative entrepreneurs – despite the industry- become (and remain) successful. Ashunta also discusses the major lessons she learned as she ventured into a new arena – product development. Despite the many successes and setbacks she’s faced throughout the years, Ashunta’s “keep pushing” mantra has kept her going. Whether you’re looking to become the next top MUA or not, this episode breaks down one’s woman story and formula for success.
PLUS – During the time of the interview, Ashunta was on set with one of her clients. YES, dream drivers Taraji P. Henson makes a guest appearance later on in the show, so you don’t want to miss it.
Make sure to join in on the conversation on social (@dreamsindrive) and use the hashtag #dreamsindrive. Please share with a friend if you enjoyed the episode, as well!
SOME OF THE TOPICS WE DISCUSS:
– What inspired Ashunta as a child
– The importance of knowing history as a makeup artist
– How Ashunta got her start working at MAC in New York City
– How an abusive relationship & getting fired from her job led her to first celebrity clients & working with Puff Daddy
– Keeping a dream journal & the power in manifesting
– Business fundamentals every creative should know
– The importance of keeping good books
– When working with an agent/agency makes sense
– Marketing your brand
– Setting & negotiating your rates + when taking the job at a lower rate is worth it
– How new makeup artists can make their mark in the industry
– How to work with celebrity clientele in 2017
– Why Ashunta decided to venture into product development
– The big trademarking challenge Ashunta faced
– What being a dream driver means to Ashunta
– Ashunta’s favorite beauty tips
– What keeps Ashunta going
*SHOW NOTES: www.dreamsindrive.com/ashunta-sheriff
*FACEBOOK GROUP: www.dreamsindrive.com/facebook
Follow Dreams In Drive on Social:
Follow Ashunta Sheriff on Social:
Follow Rana on social:
Powered by WPeMatico